Arms

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – A Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery I have had to spread it out over multiple pages. You can find the main page here: Adams Rural Cemetery – Includes Map   Footnotes:[+] Footnotes: ↑1 NYS Route 3 ↑2 Description of Rural Cemetery.

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Centre New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 10

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: John Williams; Simeon Heath; David S. Snell; Edward D. Spicer; Newton M. Parker; Stephen Shaw; Clarendon Phillips; Rev. John F. Nelson; Giles A. Hall; and H. K. Eggleston.

1864 Map of Adams New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 1

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: William Thomas; Sanford S. Thomas; Peter Doxtater, Sr.; George Doxtater; Westwood, Carmi, Moses, and Jonathan Wright; Lemuel Arms; Luman Arms; Miles Cooper; Saunders B. Chapman; and Titus Bassett.

Lyman Arms

Biographical Sketch of Lyman Arms

Lyman Arms was born in Deerfield, Massachusetts, August 30, 1796. He removed with his father, Lemuel Arms, to the State of New York, in October, 1804, and made a permanent settlement on the farm now owned by Elisha Rogers, in the town of Adams, where the subject of this sketch resided for many years. Lyman Arms married Caroline Arms, by whom he had six children, namely, Louisa, Julia, Emily, William D., Henry, and Caroline, and also one still-born. His wife died on November 30, 1836. On the 8th of July, 1836, he was married to Elizabeth C. Pierce, to whom …

Biographical Sketch of Lyman Arms Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The First Congregational Society of Adams Village, NY

The First Congregational Society of Adams was formed Aug. 28, 1805, with Jacob Kellogg, Eliphalet Adams, Elijah Fox, and Simeon Meacham, trustees. About 1818 they erected a church, 30 by 40 feet, which was used seven or eight years, when it was sold to the Methodists. In 1825 the present church was commenced, and completed for dedication July 26, 1826. Its original cost was 17000, and it was enlarged and remodeled in 1858, and subsequently at a cost of about 14000. The building is a well-preserved frame, with an audience-room having 400 sittings. The present trustees of the society are …

The First Congregational Society of Adams Village, NY Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY

The Manufacturing Interests of the village date from 1800. That year David Smith built and got in operation a saw-mill near where the present mill stands. It did a great deal of work, yet it was not able to supply the demand for lumber, and even the slabs were used in building. From this circumstance the village was sometimes called ” Slab City.” A larger mill replaced the first one, which has long since been destroyed. In the western part of the village there is a good saw-mill, owned by Saunders & Wright. In 1802, David Smith got in operation …

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

History of Adams Center, New York

This pleasant village, of 500 inhabitants, is situated on the upper lake ridge, which here forms a plain, three miles north of Adams, and ten miles by railroad from Watertown. The location is very favorable, and, being surrounded by a rich farming country, the place has become noted for its many comfortable homes, substantial business men, and beautiful streets. Settlement in this’ locality was first made in 1816, by Luman and Hiram Arms, who opened a farm just north of the village site. The place was densely timbered with cedar and the hard woods of this section, and clearings were …

History of Adams Center, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

The Lisk and Wright Settlements of Adams New York

The Lisk and Wright Settlements were farther above Smith’s Mills. At the former place settled Eliphalet Edmonds, at whose house the first town-meeting was held, and who afterwards became a prominent citizen; Francis McKee and Bradford Lisk, who had a tannery in operation many years; a Mr. Munn, who had a tavern at the same point; Priam Thompson, Elijah Fox, Appleton McKee, Myron Cooper, and others, whose descendants became prominent in the town. Here, also, lived the Fox brothers, Samuel and Daniel, the former of whom cleared the first ground in the town; the latter lived on the farm he …

The Lisk and Wright Settlements of Adams New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top