History of Ives Seminary

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.

Continue Reading →

1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Continue Reading →

The Methodist Episcopal Church of Adams Village, NY

Members of Methodist Episcopal lived in the town at an early day and classes were formed in different localities prior…

Continue Reading →

1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Continue Reading →

History of Ives Seminary, Antwerp, New York

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, – the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute…

Continue Reading →