Dwight

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 8

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Albert G. Glass; Luftus J. Landon; Lorenzo Green; Elihu Allen; Asa B. Prentice; Abner L. Ramsdell; Hiram Taylor; Alvin Parmlee; Orlo B. Rhodes; and Christopher Huson.

Giles Parker

Adams New York Biographies – Part 3

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: John C. Fox; Robert Muzzy; Henry B. Whipple; Newton M. Wardwell; Albert Rice; Samuel Fuller; Jesse Maxson; Calvin C. Totman; Jacob Brimmer; and Giles Parker.

De Alton Dwight

Biography of De Alton Dwight

De Alton Dwight was born in Henderson, Jefferson County, September 25, 1825. He was the son of Dr. Pelatiah Dwight, who was born in Somers, Conn., January 14, 1785, and died in Adams, N. Y., December 12, 1882, aged nearly 98 years. His genealogy is traceable directly back through seven generations to John Dwight, the settler who came over from England in 1634 or 1635 and settled in Dedham, Mass. From him it is believed sprung all who bear that honored name in this country — a name traceable far back in English history. His mother, Azubah (Redway) Dwight, daughter …

Biography of De Alton Dwight Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The First Congregational Society of Adams Village, NY

The First Congregational Society of Adams was formed Aug. 28, 1805, with Jacob Kellogg, Eliphalet Adams, Elijah Fox, and Simeon Meacham, trustees. About 1818 they erected a church, 30 by 40 feet, which was used seven or eight years, when it was sold to the Methodists. In 1825 the present church was commenced, and completed for dedication July 26, 1826. Its original cost was 17000, and it was enlarged and remodeled in 1858, and subsequently at a cost of about 14000. The building is a well-preserved frame, with an audience-room having 400 sittings. The present trustees of the society are …

The First Congregational Society of Adams Village, NY Read More »

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute

This thriving institution of learning is located at Adams village, whose inhabitants early felt the need of better facilities for education than the common schools afforded; accordingly efforts were made at different times to found an institution of learning of a higher grade; but, owing to local jealousies and the powerful opposition of the friends of the Black River Institute, located at Watertown, and Union Academy, at Belleville, they were not successful. In the year 1852 an effort was made to establish a graded school, but it resulted in failure. In the year 1859, Captain Sidney J. Mendell, filled with …

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute Read More »

View of Elmwood Cemetery, Adams

Societies and Orders of Adams New York

“Rising Sun Lodge, No. 124, F. & A. M.,” was organized, probably in 1806, with Robert Merrick as the first W. M. Regular meetings were held until the anti-Masonic times of 1827, when the lodge was suspended. In March, 1851, it was resuscitated with the same name, the number being changed to 234. The officers and charter members were B. Wright, W. M.; J. C. Cooper, S. W.; J. Griswold, J. W.; Dennis Waite, Almanson Tibbetts, Herman Strong, J. H. Whipple, Elijah Wright, and Titus Bassett, members. The present membership is more than 200. An elegant hall was formally dedicated …

Societies and Orders of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The Press of Adams New York

The Censor, an Anti-Masonic sheet, by Theron Parsons, was the first paper published at Adams. Its first issue bore date July 1, 1828, and its publication, at this place, was continued until June 13, 1829, when it was removed to Watertown. Owing to its bitter hostility to Masonry, its enemies named it The Cancer, which soon caused the title to be changed to The Anti-Masonic Sun. The Jefferson County Democrat was the next candidate for public favor, appearing June 27, 1844, under the control of J. C. Hatch, who three years after sold to E. J. Clark. It was a …

The Press of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY

The Manufacturing Interests of the village date from 1800. That year David Smith built and got in operation a saw-mill near where the present mill stands. It did a great deal of work, yet it was not able to supply the demand for lumber, and even the slabs were used in building. From this circumstance the village was sometimes called ” Slab City.” A larger mill replaced the first one, which has long since been destroyed. In the western part of the village there is a good saw-mill, owned by Saunders & Wright. In 1802, David Smith got in operation …

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

Roads, Railroads, and Telegraph Lines of Adams New York

The first settlers of the town had only blind paths through the woods for roads; and when streams were reached, they had to be forded or crossed on foot-logs felled across the narrow channels. But roads were located be-tween the different settlements at an early day, and in 1802 the Sandy creek was bridged at Smith’s mill. In the spring of 1804, the State road to Rome, via Redfield, was opened, and ten years later, the State road from Salina to Adams, where it intersected the Rome road. It was long best known as the ” Salt Point road.” The …

Roads, Railroads, and Telegraph Lines of Adams New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top