Gill

St. Paul's Church, Antwerp, New York

History of St. Paul’s Church, Antwerp, New York

Rev. Robert Horwood held the first Episcopal service in Antwerp, and administered the first baptism, to Annis Elizabeth, daughter of Alexander P. and Elizabeth S. Sterling, at Sterlingburgh, September 6, 1855. In August, 1858, Rev. J. Winslow commenced his labors in Carthage, Champion, and Sterlingville. In 1866 he organized a parish in Gouverneur, and held …

History of St. Paul’s Church, Antwerp, New York Read More »

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

History of Ives Seminary

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York

It is doubtful whether the honor of having made the first settlement in the territory now forming the town of Antwerp belonged to Captain William Lee or to Peter Vrooman, for it appears evident that both settled during the same year, 1803, though both were then but squatters on land which they afterwards purchased. Lee …

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York Read More »

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

History of Ives Seminary, Antwerp, New York

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, – the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of …

History of Ives Seminary, Antwerp, New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top