History of Ives Seminary

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.

Continue Reading →

Adams Rural Cemetery – G Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern…

Continue Reading →

Adams New York Biographies – Part 2

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Heman Colton; O. De Grasse Greene; Perly D. Stone; Fayette Stanley; Herman Keep; Samuel Bond; Joseph Ripley; Daniel Stanley; Joseph Green, 2d; and Calvin Warriner.

Continue Reading →

History of Ives Seminary, Antwerp, New York

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, – the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute…

Continue Reading →