History of Ives Seminary

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.

Continue Reading →

Adams Rural Cemetery – H Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern…

Continue Reading →

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams…

Continue Reading →

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY

The Manufacturing Interests of the village date from 1800. That year David Smith built and got in operation a saw-mill…

Continue Reading →

History of Ives Seminary, Antwerp, New York

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, – the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute…

Continue Reading →