Surname: Sherwood

Barryville Cemetery, Barryville, New York

Located about one and one half miles from the Village of Barryville, on the side of a very steep dirt road. It is in fairly good condition HIGBY, Edwin, b. 31 Jan 1864, d. 6 Jan 1907 SCHUMACHERJohn, b. 2 Apr 1924, ae 57 y, 4 m, 8 dMrs. Dorothea, d. 8 Jun 1928, ae 83 y, 3 m, 23 d Herman F., b. 27 Dec 1839, d. 25 Jan 1907Dorthea, his wife, b. 15 Feb 1845, d. 8 Jun 1928 (There were two separate stones for this individual) DAVISLulu May, b. 3 Aug 1890, d. 11 Jun 1909Ettie Ludwig, …

Barryville Cemetery, Barryville, New York Read More »

St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

St. Helena NY Bridges and Mills

The first bridge across the river was a covered structure with wooden latticework sides, built in 183 5, and was said to be very picturesque. There were 226 feet of latticework spanning the river with fifty feet of different construction at the approaches. This linked Wyoming and Livingston counties and made it possible for the families on the east side of the river to reach the mills and stores without traveling by boat or fording the river. This bridge was in use until 1868, when it became unsafe and was replaced with a four-span bridge of truss style. This bridge, …

St. Helena NY Bridges and Mills Read More »

How we do things at Bangall NY Postcard

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York

The earliest records of this Church are dated from Great Nine Partners, Charlotte Precinct, N. Y. Its first members appear to have emigrated from Massachusetts, and were organized into a Church, Oct. 1, 1759, in Dutchess County, by covenanting together and appointing Ephraim Bullock and Corner Bullock to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances among them. At this meeting the members had the assistance of Elder Jabez Wood and Elder Robert Wheaton, who were elders of the First Baptist Church in the town of Swansea, Mass. For nearly twenty years harmony prevailed in the church, but in 1778 dissension …

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York Read More »

Bound Leather Journal

Washington County, NY Book of Forfeitures, 1784

The Book of Forfeitures is located in the Washington County Archives, Washington County Clerk’s Office, Fort Edward, NY. It contains the list and description of Loyalist properties that were seized and sold. The names given here are the purchasers of the properties.

Residence of Alexander D. Stanley

Adams New York Biographies – Part 6

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: George Potter; Mark Marriott; Matthew White; Jonathan Lamson; George Frasier; Austin H. Coughlan; Alfred A. Hodges; Joseph Bullock; Seymour H. Pitcher; and George D. Sullivan.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top