History of Ives Seminary

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.

Continue Reading →

The Emanuel Episcopal Church of Adams Village, NY

A proposition to organize an Episcopal church having been made to Bishop De Lancey, his consent was secured Jan. 22,…

Continue Reading →

Brownville New York History from Childs 1890 Gazetteer

This Brownville New York History is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Continue Reading →

History of Ives Seminary, Antwerp, New York

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, – the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute…

Continue Reading →