Woodward

1864 Map of Spragues Corners

History of Sprague’s Corners, New York

Sprague’s Corners is the name given to a cluster of buildings lying partly in Antwerp and partly in St. Lawrence county, at a point nearly half a mile southeast from the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh railroad, at Keene’s Station, which name is often applied to the village.

1864 Map of Antwerp, New York

Incorporation of the Village of Antwerp, New York

Antwerp was incorporated a village, by order of the court of sessions, under the general act, in the year 1851 and the incorporation was ratified, by a vote of fifty-three to three, at a special meeting, held at Stowell & Taylor hotel, on the 30th of July in that year. The boundary are recorded as …

Incorporation of the Village of Antwerp, New York Read More »

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – W Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery …

Adams Rural Cemetery – W Surnames Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 8

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Albert G. Glass; Luftus J. Landon; Lorenzo Green; Elihu Allen; Asa B. Prentice; Abner L. Ramsdell; Hiram Taylor; Alvin Parmlee; Orlo B. Rhodes; and Christopher Huson.

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

History of Adams Village, New York

The location of this large and thriving village of 2000 inhabitants is on Sandy creek, one and a half miles from the Rodman town-line, and extending on its south to the towns of Lorraine and Ellisburg. The principal part of the village is in the valley of the creek, mostly on its north bank, although …

History of Adams Village, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The Presbyterian Church of Adams Village, NY

The Presbyterian Church of Adams village was organized as the “First Congregational church of Adams,” by the Rev. Ebenezer Lazell, July, 1804, and consisted of the following six members: Joshua Reals, Jacob Kellogg, Abram Griswold, David Comstock, Betsey Griswold, and Asenath Cooper. Divine worship had been established on the Sabbath, in 1801, at the house …

The Presbyterian Church of Adams Village, NY Read More »

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute

This thriving institution of learning is located at Adams village, whose inhabitants early felt the need of better facilities for education than the common schools afforded; accordingly efforts were made at different times to found an institution of learning of a higher grade; but, owing to local jealousies and the powerful opposition of the friends …

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top