Nott

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York

It is doubtful whether the honor of having made the first settlement in the territory now forming the town of Antwerp belonged to Captain William Lee or to Peter Vrooman, for it appears evident that both settled during the same year, 1803, though both were then but squatters on land which they afterwards purchased. Lee located on the State road on lot No. 657, and Vrooman built his log house at the great bend of the Oswegatchie, at a point near the lower end of the present village of Ox Bow. Both these settlers opened their log dwellings as public-houses …

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 9

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Palmer Hodge; Sylvester G. Nott; Rufus D. Gardner; Waterman Horth; G. W. Hannahs; John Ivory; Simon Wakefield; John J. Gilbert; Charles C. Case; and John H. Dryden.

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

History of the Village of Antwerp

The first settlement and improvements upon the site of the present village of Antwerp were made under the direction of General Lewis R. Morris. On the 23d of December, 1804, he had purchased a tract of forty-nine thousand two hundred and eighty acres of land within the present boundaries of the town, comprising more then two-thirds of its entire area, and including the location on which the village stands. It was not until the year 1808 that David Parrish became proprietor of a part of these lands, by purchase from Morris. In the year following his purchase (1805) General Morris …

History of the Village of Antwerp Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top