Chenango County

Afton, Chenango County, New York

Afton is situated on the south-east corner of the county and lies wholly within the original township of Clinton. It was formed from Bainbridge November 18, 1857, and derives its name from Afton Water, a small river in Ayrshire, England, immortalized by the Scottish poet Burns. (A somewhat bitter feud was engendered by the division of the town of Bainbridge and the discussions preceding it, and to give Afton a precedence over its rival, a name with an initial preceding the letter B was selected. From Rev. E. T. Jacobs’ article on The Rise and Present of Afton. ) It …

Afton, Chenango County, New York Read More »

Banks of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York

The Sherburne National Bank was organized May 4, 1865, with a capital of $100,000, (all paid in) in shares of $100 each. The charter continues twenty years from its organization, and permits an increase of capital to any sum not exceeding $200,000. May 4, 1865, Joshua Pratt, Walter Elsbre, William Cook, Alonzo D. Gorham and Henry T. Dunham were elected directors; Joshua Pratt being chosen President, Walter Elsbre, Vice-President and Henry T. Dunham, Cashier. By-laws were adopted and it was voted to collect 25 per cent. of the capital stock in thirty days, and the remaining 25 per cent. in …

Banks of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York Read More »

The Baptist Church of Afton, Chenango County, New York

The Baptist Church of Afton was organized as the South Bainbridge Baptist Church. At a meeting of a number of members of several Baptist Churches, at the house of Moses Caswell, Friday, January 15, 1836, to take into consideration the propriety of locating a church of this denomination in “South Bainbridge,” articles of faith and practice were agreed upon and it was unanimously resolved to request a council of examination to convene at the house of Isaac Seely, February 17, 1836, to admit them to fellowship as a church. Rev. E. B. Sparks was delegated to invite delegations for that …

The Baptist Church of Afton, Chenango County, New York Read More »

Baptist Church of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York

The Baptists residing in Sherburne village and vicinity commenced holding meetings in the academy in that village in March, 1836, and employed Mr. Ewell, a student of Hamilton Theological Seminary, to preach for them. July 2, 1836, they convened in the academy for the purpose of forming a church conference. A. H. Burlingame was chosen moderator and E. C. Wheeler clerk. A church covenant was adopted and signed by Charles Lewis, John Benton, Willard Stebbins, Ezra Race, Sylvester Benton, Carloss Benton, Horace Eaton, Hendrick Bresee, E. C. Wheeler, Calvin Locke, H. B. Hale, John Benton, Jr., Clarissa Eaton, Mary Bresee, …

Baptist Church of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York Read More »

Berean Society of Universalists Sherburne, Chenango County, New York

The Berean Society of Universalists in Sherburne was organized Aug. 25, 1849, at a meeting of the friends of Universalism, convened in the brick school-house, situated east of the academy in the village of Sherburne, which had been previously purchased by them to be used as a house of worship. Rev. James S. Sherburne was appointed moderator, and Isaac Plumb secretary. Prayer was offered by Rev. Alfred Peck, after which Rev. C. L. Shipman presented for consideration the draft of a constitution, which, after some discussion, was adopted. E. S. Lyman was then elected clerk, and Labin Howard, Alberto Sabin …

Berean Society of Universalists Sherburne, Chenango County, New York Read More »

Biographies of Afton, Chenango County, New York

The first settlement in Afton was made in July, 1786, many more settlers soon followed.  More Early Settlers Atherton, Cornelius Betts, Peter Judge Buck, Daniel S. Church, Richard Easton, Oliver Hyde, Daniel Johnston, John Johnston, William Pearsall, Henry Pollard, David Stevens, Abijah Stone, Seth Stowel, Hezekiah  

Biographies of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York

The settlement of the town was mainly begun by a company of persons originally from Kent, Conn., who, two years after the termination of the struggle of the colonies with the mother country for independence, emigrated to Duanesburgh, Schenectady county; and being disappointed in their hopes of securing a title to the lands on which they settled in that town, they resolved to move in a body to the Chenango Valley, to the newly opened lands in the Twenty Townships. More Early Settlers Anderson, James Follett, Levi Gorton, Henry Gray, John Gray, Nathaniel Guthrie, John Hatch, Joel Newton, William Capt. …

Biographies of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York Read More »

Business of Afton, Chenango County, New York

The grist and flouring-mill is located one-fourth mile north-west of the village, and is owned by Asa Pixley. The saw-mill is located about one-fourth mile up the river, on Kelsey Brook, about seventy rods above its mouth, and is owned by George Landers. It was originally built about 1809, and the mud-sills in the present building are the same as were used in the construction of the first. The water from the creek is conducted to the mill by a race about forty rods long. Wright & Hinman’s sash and blind factory was built in the fall of 1869 by …

Business of Afton, Chenango County, New York Read More »

Christ’s Church of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York

Christ’s Church in the Village of Sherburne, (Episcopal,) was organized at a meeting held in the school-house in Sherburne village June 7, 1828, over which Rev. Russel Wheeler presided. Thomas Kershaw and H. N. Fargo were elected wardens, and Asa Foote, Reuben Davis, Amasa Skinner, Alexander Holmes, Alson Upham, Peter I. Davidson, David Skinner and Jonathan Thayer, vestrymen. The first male members were Thomas Kershaw, H. N. Fargo, Amasa Skinner, Asa Foote and Ezra Griffin. Their church edifice was built in 1831, at a cost of about $2,500, including bell. Among the contributions toward that object were $500 each from …

Christ’s Church of Sherburne, Chenango County, New York Read More »

Churches of Afton, Chenango County, New York

The first church in the town was of the Presbyterian order. It was organized in 1802, by Rev. Daniel Buck, who was the first pastor, in the log school-house, which stood on the east bank of the river, within the limits of the present village of Afton and was the first school-house in the town. That church disbanded about forty years ago, but is perpetuated in a measure by the Presbyterian Church of Nineveh, which was organized in 1831, largely by members from this. Many of the members of this church had united with the Universalists, who were a numerous …

Churches of Afton, Chenango County, New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top