St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

St. Helena is now a name only. The pioneers of the valley have moved to the shade of the maples in Castile. Not many miles from the scene of their struggles with the early wilderness and the sometimes raging Genesee, the pioneers sleep on. Will the Genesee which they loved, and sometimes feared, close at last over the tiny town site or will it be allowed to grow again to a resemblance of its former state of wilderness? Never more will the hum of mill wheels fill the valley, for St. Helena is now the “Ghost Town of the Genesee.”

Barryville Cemetery, Barryville, New York

Located about one and one half miles from the Village of Barryville, on the side of a very steep dirt road. It is in fairly good condition HIGBY, Edwin, b. 31 Jan 1864, d. 6 Jan 1907 SCHUMACHERJohn, b. 2 Apr 1924, ae 57 y, 4 m, 8 dMrs. Dorothea, d. 8 Jun 1928, ae 83 y, 3 m, 23 d Herman F., b. 27 Dec 1839, d. 25 Jan 1907Dorthea, his wife, b. 15 Feb 1845, d. 8 Jun 1928 (There were two separate stones for this individual) DAVISLulu May, b. 3 Aug 1890, d. 11 Jun 1909Ettie Ludwig, …

Barryville Cemetery, Barryville, New York Read More »

Callicoon Center Cemetery, Callicoon Center, New York

Callicoon Center Cemetery, opposite the Dutch Reformed Church, Callicoon Center, Sullivan County, New York, and is badly neglected. As the Old Dutch Reformed Church records are in German, the following inscriptions will be helpful to those interested in the early settlers of this section of the County. KRAFT, Ludwig, b. 16 (10?) Jul 1813, d. 16 Apr 1886 DORE, Margaret, wife of John DORE, d. 6 Feb 1886, ae 30 y, 2 m, 6 d BISCHOFF, Louisa, b. 20 Oct 1826, d. 6 Nov 1888J.G. aus Ketsigen, Konigreich gestarben 4 Aug 1883, ae 77 y, 7 m, 8 d GUNGLACH, …

Callicoon Center Cemetery, Callicoon Center, New York Read More »

Burials in the Old Stone Fort Cemetery at Schoharie, New York

Burials in the Old Stone Fort Cemetery at Schoharie, New York

About one mile north of the Court House at Schoharie, New York, stands a substantial stone building erected and used as a church before the Revolution. In October 1780. Sir. John Johnson, the Indian Chief Brant, with a large force of soldiers, Tories and Indians visited the Schoharie Valley, murdered one hundred of the inhabitants, destroyed their houses and barns and 100,000 bushels of grain. The invaders attacked the Fort which had been constructed about the church, but it was defended with such vigor they withdrew. A cannon ball fired by the enemy pierced the roof of the church and …

Burials in the Old Stone Fort Cemetery at Schoharie, New York Read More »

St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

Cemeteries of St. Helena, New York

Burials were made in several near-by cemeteries. One at the top of the eastern hill was opened about 1830 and was the first in that entire section. Fifty persons were buried there. In 1839 the Oak Hill Cemetery, near Brooks Grove, was established. Some years later, when the plot had to be enlarged, Milton Burnap, Sr., Fred Marsh, Sr., and James Piper, early settlers at St. Helena, helped with the task and chose their family burial spots. The two cemeteries at Castile were used, and also, of course, the well-known cemetery on the western hillside. Because there were no burial …

Cemeteries of St. Helena, New York Read More »

St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

New Developments at St. Helena New York

The highway bridge was dismantled during the summer of 19 50. Livingston County owned one half of the structure, as the center of the river was the boundary line between the two counties. The entire bridge was given to Livingston County as compensation for its demolition by the county’s highway department. The population of St. Helena dwindled fast after the school was closed in the early 1920’s. The once busy valley had succumbed to the urge of progress and the young folks sought new fields. The river remained a good place for a cool swim on a hot summer day …

New Developments at St. Helena New York Read More »

St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

St. Helena Water Gauge

Mr. C. Scott De Golyer has been very helpful in giving us the following information about the recording gauge installed at St. Helena to check the water stage of the river. This station was established by George M. Brett and Charles E. Allen on August 14, 1908. It consisted of a standard Geological Survey chain gauge attached to the lower chord of the first left-hand panel of the middle span of the highway bridge. It was converted to a recording gauge station by W. G. Hoyt and C. S. De Golyer on August 24, 1911. The first recording gauge was …

St. Helena Water Gauge Read More »

St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

St. Helena NY Nearing Desertion

Nearing the turn of the century there were only a few families owning property in St. Helena. They were John Piper, John Streeter, George E. Piper, Lucy Wallace, Thomas E. Marsh, A. Alcott, Herman Piper, John Orsburn, and Fred Marsh. L.aura Piper was there until 1902. The southern end of Water Street was no more. The school was still kept at this time. The river had moved closer and closer to the west side of the valley. The George Teeple family left St. Helena and moved to Nunda in the early 1920’s, when the river destroyed their farm. Soon afterward, …

St. Helena NY Nearing Desertion Read More »

St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

Bits of News

Genesee Timber February 24, 1895: “John Chaffee, who lived one and a half miles below St. Helena, drew to the yard of the Elitsac Company, a mammoth cottonwood log, sixteen feet long and three feet through at the top and four feet through at the butt, scaling 1,024 feet. The log was cut on the east side of the river near the county line of Wyoming and Livingston, several weeks before. It was put on the bobs and drawn as far as the river, where it tipped over. Six horses were then hitched to the log and it was drawn …

Bits of News Read More »

St Helena, ghost town of the Genesee, 1797-1954

River Travelers along the Genesee River

During the more quiet season of the Genesee River, it was a source of pleasure, not only to local people, but to the Rochester Canoe Club, as well. From the Castilian of May 31, 1897, we take this item: “The Rochester Canoe Club, on its annual cruise down the Genesee River, made up of the following members: H.M. Stewart, Cort Avery, Al T. Brown, Wm. Patterson, Lee Rishwood, Col. C. H. Moody, Frank L. Dodgson, L. P. Newton, H. Cliff Shaw, Dr. F. R. Smith, P. P. Dickenson, Frank P. Crouch, H. B. Squire, Jas. K. Hand, Chas. B. Wolters, …

River Travelers along the Genesee River Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top