First settled by the Dutch in the 17th century, and later acquired by the British, New York is one of the most important states in the history of the United States. This collection of birth and baptism records, compiled by Arthur and Nancy Kelly, was taken from the New York church registers and minister’s records 1694-1906, and town birth records 1846-49. It contains over 61,000 records from Fulton, Herkimer, Montgomery, Schenectady, Schoharie, and Saratoga Counties, and provides details on more than 215,000 individuals. In addition to the child’s name and date of birth or baptism, researchers may find information on parents’ names, names of sponsors, and notes included in these vital records.
Church records provide the best substitute in New York State for vital record information. In particular, the Reformed and Lutheran churches kept excellent records, having the children baptized soon after their birth. Arthur Kelly has spent over 30 years transcribing and collecting early records of this area in an attempt to provide vital record information for the 18th and 19th centuries before civil records were required.
This record use to be available online at Ancestry but it has been removed from their collection. To access this record you must either visit the Salt Lake City Family History Center where you can access it via the following link:
Or if you are in New York you can find it at the Onondaga County Library:
The following records are included in this database:
Herkimer and Fulton County Records:
- Baptismal Record of German Flats Reformed Church, 1763-95, 1811-48, 1896-99 (German Flats, Herkimer)
- Baptism Record of the Reformed Church Herkimer, NY, 1801-99 (Herkimer, Herkimer)
- Vital Records of St. John’s Episcopal Church, Johnstown, NY (Johnstown, Fulton)
Montgomery County Records:
- Baptismal Record of Trinity Lutheran Church, Stone Arabia, NY, pre-1751-1899 (Palatine, Montgomery)
- Baptism Record of Reformed Church, Stone Arabia, NY, 1739-1899 (Palatine, Montgomery)
- Baptism Record of Caughnawaga Reformed Church, 1758-1899 (Town of Mohawk, Montgomery County)
- Records of Queen Anne Chapel (Episcopal), Fort Hunter, NY, 1735-1746 (Florida, Montgomery)
- Records of the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of the Town of Glen, 1805-1872 (Glen, Montgomery)
- Records of the First Reformed Protestant Dutch Church and First Presbyterian Church, Amsterdam, 1798-1821 (Amsterdam, Montgomery)
- Records of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church of Middletown (now Mapletown), 1803-1901 (Canajoharie, Montgomery)
- The Dempster Records, 1779-1803 (Florida, Montgomery)
Saratoga County Records:
- Saratoga Quaker Monthly Meetings, 1781-1850 (Saratoga, Saratoga)
- Records of Bacon Hill Reformed Church, 1834-1841 (Northumberland, Saratoga)
- Schuylerville Methodist Church, 1851-1883 (Saratoga, Saratoga)
- Stillwater Birth Records
- Daybook of Rev. Zerah Taylor Hoyt, 1846-1851 (Greenfield, Saratoga)
- Records of Ballston Center Presbyterian Church, 1783-1853 (Ballston, Saratoga)
Schenectady County Records:
- Glenville Reformed Church, vital records, 1814-1914 (Glenville, Schenectady)
- First Reformed Church of Schenectady in the city of Schenectady, 1811-52 (Schenectady city, Schenectady)
- Schenectady Reformed Church, Baptisms, 1694-1811 (Schenectady city, Schenectady)
- Niskayuna Reformed Church, 1783-1860 (Niskayuna, Schenectady)
- Births recorded by Mrs. Mary Stevens, midwife of Schenectady, NY, 1767-88 (Schenectady city, Schenectady)
- Christ Episcopal Church, Duanesburgh, 1766-1882 (Duanesburgh, Schenectady)
- Records of the First Reformed Church of Scotia, New York, 1818-99 (Glenville, Schenectady)
- Princetown Reformed Church, 1825-1908 (Princetown, Schenectady)
- Woestina Reformed Church, 1800-1861 (Glenville, Schenectady)
Schoharie County Baptism Records:
- Records of the Rev. John Daniel Schafer, 1819-38 (Schoharie)
- Blenheim Reformed Church, Vital Records, 1797-1839 (Blenheim, Schoharie)
- Gilboa Reformed Church, Vital Records, 1801-84 (Gilboa, Schoharie)
- Lawyersville Reformed Church, Vital Records, 1790-1882 (Cobleskill, Schoharie)
- Middleburgh Reformed Church, Vital Records, 1797-1899 (Middleburgh, Schoharie)
- Schoharie Reformed Church, Baptismal Records, 1731-1894 (Schoharie, Schoharie)
- Reformed Church of Sharon, Vital Records, 1793-1867 (Sharon, Schoharie)
- St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran Church, Vital Records, 1801-61 (Seward, Schoharie)
- St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Schoharie United Presbyterian Church, Baptismal Records, 1728-1899 (Schoharie, Schoharie)
- St. Peter’s Evangelical Lutheran Church of New Rhinebeck, Vital Records, 1802-67 (Seward, Schoharie)
- True Reformed Dutch Church, Vital Records, 1821-77 (Sharon, Schoharie)
- Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, Vital Records, 1794-1871 (Cobleskill, Schoharie)
10 thoughts on “New York Births and Baptisms, Schoharie and Mohawk Valleys, 1694-1906”
My GGgrandmother was born in Schoharie County, NY about 1804. Her name was Elizabeth Schermerhorn. Peter and Maria were here parents. One of her sisters was Hannah. She married Daniel Dennison Stark. Can anyone help me find more info on them? He was born in Herkimer Co. NY in 1801.
Information on the Schermerhorn family can be found in the book, “Genealogy of the Vanderpool Family: with items of personal, political, and social interet” which can be found online at hathitrust.org. Don’t let the name of the book (Vanderpool) throw you. This book is a history of the Fort Orange/Albany area from it’s original founding with all the original founding families and lots of their genealogy including names and birth dates. Also tells who went to New York City. Very interesting read if you like history. The Schermerhorn name and where it originated is included.
Good luck in your research.
Name: Daniel D. Stark
Birth Date: abt 1801
Birth Place: York State
Death Date: 23 Oct 1885
Death Place: Brockway, St. Clair, Michigan
Death Age: 84
Marital status: Married
FHL Film Number: 976875
Ancestry.com. Michigan, Deaths and Burials Index, 1867-1995 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
“Michigan Deaths and Burials, 1800–1995.” Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2009, 2010. Index entries derived from digital copies of original and compiled records.
This database is an index containing details from more than 1.3 million Michigan death and burial records. Learn more…
Looking for Allen Cummings b. 1801, b. NY … possibly in Canajoharie, NY
He goes from there across NY state, in Allen, Allegany Co, NY 1830, in Horseheads, NY in 1831 when daughter Hannah was born, in Centerville, Allegany Co, NY in 1840 when son Willard was born, and ends up in Eldred, McKean Co, PA where he lives and dies in 1873. I would love to know where in NY he was born. His wife is a Ferrington from Maine, USA. She and her family move from Maine to Allegany County, NY in the 1830’s. He marries her some place? Thanks for any help. Lindy
Looking to follow the descendants of Adam Vrooman (May 23, 1649 – February 25, 1730), son of Hendrick Vrooman, originally of Schoharie, NY. I believe he is my direct ancestor through my father, Henry A. Vroman, Jr. (1933 – 2004), my grandfather, Henry A. Vroman (1895 – 1989), my great-grandfather, Robert Vroman (Born ~1869), and his father, either Edward Vroman (Born ~1835) or John Vroman (1806-1884).
I have conflicting data on the father of my great-grandfather, and have no data connecting farther back. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi, my great great grandfather Frederick McKinney was born in the Town of Mohawk, NY around the year 1817 per the 1855 census. He was married to his wife Catharine around 1840. I’m looking for a record of the marriage that might reveal her maiden name. My grandfather told me that she was a “full-blooded Irishman.”
I am looking for records of early 1700s Mohawk baptisms and other records concerning Mohawk converts, especially Chief Hendrik Theyanoguin and his family. Hoping to find any documentation on his children, especially Daniel Hendricks
Hi, I am looking for information on my 3rd Great Grandfather Thomas Benton Kennicutt/Kinnicutt/Kinnicott. He was born 14 FEB 1812 • Florida, Montgomery County, New York, USA
He married Nancy Ann Vinton/Venton 18 Sep 1831 in Florida, Montgomery, New York, USA
She was born 15 March 1813 in Florida, Montgomery, New York, USA
If anyone has information on my family or where I may find information please contact me at email@example.com.
Thanks so much!
I am trying to find a birth record for my ancestor named Julia Ann Ball. I know she was born in 1804 in Schoharie NY to father David Ball. Thanks for any help.
My Great Great Grandmother was Jennie A Wright born 2 July 1837 in Jefferson Ny and Married Walter Lamb.
Census records has her born in Jefferson Ny cannot find any information on parents or when she was married.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.