Bond

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – B Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery I have had to spread it out over multiple pages. You can find the main page here: Adams Rural Cemetery – Includes Map This section contains the interments whose surnames begin with the letter B.   Footnotes:[+] Footnotes: ↑1 NYS Route 3 ↑2 Description of …

Adams Rural Cemetery – B Surnames Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

O De Grasse Greene Residence and Sash, Door and Blind Factory

Adams New York Biographies – Part 2

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Heman Colton; O. De Grasse Greene; Perly D. Stone; Fayette Stanley; Herman Keep; Samuel Bond; Joseph Ripley; Daniel Stanley; Joseph Green, 2d; and Calvin Warriner.

1864 Map of Adams New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 1

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: William Thomas; Sanford S. Thomas; Peter Doxtater, Sr.; George Doxtater; Westwood, Carmi, Moses, and Jonathan Wright; Lemuel Arms; Luman Arms; Miles Cooper; Saunders B. Chapman; and Titus Bassett.

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

History of Adams Village, New York

The location of this large and thriving village of 2000 inhabitants is on Sandy creek, one and a half miles from the Rodman town-line, and extending on its south to the towns of Lorraine and Ellisburg. The principal part of the village is in the valley of the creek, mostly on its north bank, although some of the private residences are on the terraces along the stream, giving the place an elevated appearance beautiful to behold, and admitting the display of much fine taste. The streets are wide, graded to a considerable extent, and cleanly kept. Outside of the business …

History of Adams Village, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The First Congregational Society of Adams Village, NY

The First Congregational Society of Adams was formed Aug. 28, 1805, with Jacob Kellogg, Eliphalet Adams, Elijah Fox, and Simeon Meacham, trustees. About 1818 they erected a church, 30 by 40 feet, which was used seven or eight years, when it was sold to the Methodists. In 1825 the present church was commenced, and completed for dedication July 26, 1826. Its original cost was 17000, and it was enlarged and remodeled in 1858, and subsequently at a cost of about 14000. The building is a well-preserved frame, with an audience-room having 400 sittings. The present trustees of the society are …

The First Congregational Society of Adams Village, NY Read More »

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute

This thriving institution of learning is located at Adams village, whose inhabitants early felt the need of better facilities for education than the common schools afforded; accordingly efforts were made at different times to found an institution of learning of a higher grade; but, owing to local jealousies and the powerful opposition of the friends of the Black River Institute, located at Watertown, and Union Academy, at Belleville, they were not successful. In the year 1852 an effort was made to establish a graded school, but it resulted in failure. In the year 1859, Captain Sidney J. Mendell, filled with …

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute Read More »

View of Elmwood Cemetery, Adams

Societies and Orders of Adams New York

“Rising Sun Lodge, No. 124, F. & A. M.,” was organized, probably in 1806, with Robert Merrick as the first W. M. Regular meetings were held until the anti-Masonic times of 1827, when the lodge was suspended. In March, 1851, it was resuscitated with the same name, the number being changed to 234. The officers and charter members were B. Wright, W. M.; J. C. Cooper, S. W.; J. Griswold, J. W.; Dennis Waite, Almanson Tibbetts, Herman Strong, J. H. Whipple, Elijah Wright, and Titus Bassett, members. The present membership is more than 200. An elegant hall was formally dedicated …

Societies and Orders of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY

The Manufacturing Interests of the village date from 1800. That year David Smith built and got in operation a saw-mill near where the present mill stands. It did a great deal of work, yet it was not able to supply the demand for lumber, and even the slabs were used in building. From this circumstance the village was sometimes called ” Slab City.” A larger mill replaced the first one, which has long since been destroyed. In the western part of the village there is a good saw-mill, owned by Saunders & Wright. In 1802, David Smith got in operation …

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

Roads, Railroads, and Telegraph Lines of Adams New York

The first settlers of the town had only blind paths through the woods for roads; and when streams were reached, they had to be forded or crossed on foot-logs felled across the narrow channels. But roads were located be-tween the different settlements at an early day, and in 1802 the Sandy creek was bridged at Smith’s mill. In the spring of 1804, the State road to Rome, via Redfield, was opened, and ten years later, the State road from Salina to Adams, where it intersected the Rome road. It was long best known as the ” Salt Point road.” The …

Roads, Railroads, and Telegraph Lines of Adams New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top