Short history on various historical churches of Antwerp, Jefferson County, New York.
The First Congregational Church of Antwerp was organized in July, 1819, by Rev. Isaac Clinton, then principal of the academy at Lowville. The event took place in Copeland Hall, upon the site of the present Proctor House. The original members were William Randall, Percival Hawley, Edward Foster, Elijah Hoyt, Hosea Hough, Mrs. Hawley, Mrs. Foster, Mrs. Frances Eaton, and Mrs. Polly Copeland. It was agreed beforehand to employ either a Presbyterian or a Congregational minister, as might be most convenient, and to allow him to choose the polity of the organization.
Members of Methodist Episcopal lived in the town at an early day and classes were formed in different localities prior to 1828; but in that year they were formed into a circuit, and there-after supplied with a regular preacher. The members living principally at Adams village. The First Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church of …