Cooper

1864 Map of Ox Bow

History of Ox Bow, New York

This little village is located on the left bank of the Oswegatchie, at the southernmost point of the groat bend in that river. It lies due north of Antwerp village seven and one-half miles, and its communication with the latter place is over an excellent turnpike-road. Ox Bow, at the present time, contains a post-office, one hotel, four stores, one physician, one drugstore, one wagon-shop, three blacksmith-shops, one harness- and saddlery-shop, a good school-house, two churches, and about 300 inhabitants.

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – C Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery …

Adams Rural Cemetery – C Surnames Read More »

account book of Robert Townsend & Co.

Long Island New York – Historic Account Books

The East Hampton Library has placed online a treasure trove of original and unique genealogical data in the form of digitized account books of former residents of Long Island. They have placed these online as part of the Digital Long Island Collection. Most of these account books pertain to East Hampton and the area surrounding it on Long Island.

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

Residence of T. V. Maxon Left Side

Adams New York Biographies – Part 5

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Abram Green; T. V. Maxon; Albert G. Thomas; John J. Stillman; Martin E. Dealing; Alfred H. York; Captain W. A. Collins; James Hammond; Gardner Towle; and Charles H. Andrus.

1864 Map of Adams New York

Genealogy and History of Adams New York

Adams New York Genealogy is part of the Jefferson County New York American History and Genealogy Project (AHGP). This website features free genealogy and history concerning Adams New York. Biographies, cemeteries, directories, genealogy, history, military records, newspaper records, old homes, and yearbooks.

1864 Map of Adams New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 1

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: William Thomas; Sanford S. Thomas; Peter Doxtater, Sr.; George Doxtater; Westwood, Carmi, Moses, and Jonathan Wright; Lemuel Arms; Luman Arms; Miles Cooper; Saunders B. Chapman; and Titus Bassett.

John Cowles Cooper

Biography of John Cowles Cooper

A complete history of the town of Adams, or even the county of Jefferson, cannot be written without assigning a prominent place therein to John Cowles Cooper. In the best sense he was public-spirited. His clear views, practical good sense, and energy made him a leader in all those enterprises of a public nature affecting …

Biography of John Cowles Cooper Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

History of Adams Village, New York

The location of this large and thriving village of 2000 inhabitants is on Sandy creek, one and a half miles from the Rodman town-line, and extending on its south to the towns of Lorraine and Ellisburg. The principal part of the village is in the valley of the creek, mostly on its north bank, although …

History of Adams Village, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The Presbyterian Church of Adams Village, NY

The Presbyterian Church of Adams village was organized as the “First Congregational church of Adams,” by the Rev. Ebenezer Lazell, July, 1804, and consisted of the following six members: Joshua Reals, Jacob Kellogg, Abram Griswold, David Comstock, Betsey Griswold, and Asenath Cooper. Divine worship had been established on the Sabbath, in 1801, at the house …

The Presbyterian Church of Adams Village, NY Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top