Huntington

General Solon Dexter Hungerford

Hungerford Genealogy of Jefferson County New York

Provides genealogies of the Hungerford Families: Thomas Hungerford Family of East Haddam Connecticut; Thomas M. Hungerford Family of East Haddam, Connecticut; Benjamin Hungerford Family of Bristol, Connecticut; Timothy Hungerford Family of Watertown, New York; Timothy Hungerford Family of Watertown Center, New York; Edwin Hungerford Family of Evans Mills, New York; Elbert Hungerford Family of Evans Mills, New York; James Montrose Hungerford Family of Clayton, New York; Dexter Hungerford Family of Brownville, New York; General Solon Dexter Hungerford Family of Adams, New York; and Orville Hungerford Family of Watertown, New York.

St. Paul's Church, Antwerp, New York

History of St. Paul’s Church, Antwerp, New York

Rev. Robert Horwood held the first Episcopal service in Antwerp, and administered the first baptism, to Annis Elizabeth, daughter of Alexander P. and Elizabeth S. Sterling, at Sterlingburgh, September 6, 1855. In August, 1858, Rev. J. Winslow commenced his labors in Carthage, Champion, and Sterlingville. In 1866 he organized a parish in Gouverneur, and held missionary services in Antwerp, where he presented a class for confirmation by Right Rev. Bishop Coxe, the first bishop to visit Antwerp. Mr. Winslow was succeeded by Rev. Frederick Hyde, then a young deacon. He remained six months. Rev. William A. Ely, deacon, succeeded him, …

History of St. Paul’s Church, Antwerp, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Alexandria Township New York

Alexandria Township New York History and Genealogy

The first improvement in this town was made about 1811 by Le Ray, who caused a clearing to be made at Alexandria Center, to afford facilities to the first settlers, by supplying them with grain until it could be raised by themselves. He paid twelve dollars per acre with the ashes and half the first crop for these jobs, and built a log barn. In 1811 the proprietors made the Morris and Hammond road, extending from Hammond village to the Red tavern, near Theresa, where it intersected another road from the river to Philadelphia. The former was cleared four rods …

Alexandria Township New York History and Genealogy Read More »

History of Westminster Park, New York

This place of resort for the summer months has been inaugurated by the Presbyterians, on the lower end of Wellesley Island, in the St. Lawrence river, in the confines of the town of Alexandria. The association under whose auspices the park is maintained is incorporated under the Act of the Legislature of New York passed in 1853, being chapter 117 of the session laws of that year, and the acts mandatory thereof. The articles of association were dated in 1875, and filed in the proper offices, of the Secretary of State, and county clerk of Jefferson County, wherein the association …

History of Westminster Park, New York Read More »

account book of Robert Townsend & Co.

Long Island New York – Historic Account Books

The East Hampton Library has placed online a treasure trove of original and unique genealogical data in the form of digitized account books of former residents of Long Island. They have placed these online as part of the Digital Long Island Collection. Most of these account books pertain to East Hampton and the area surrounding it on Long Island.

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

O De Grasse Greene Residence and Sash, Door and Blind Factory

Adams New York Biographies – Part 2

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Heman Colton; O. De Grasse Greene; Perly D. Stone; Fayette Stanley; Herman Keep; Samuel Bond; Joseph Ripley; Daniel Stanley; Joseph Green, 2d; and Calvin Warriner.

Hungerford Collegiate Institute Photograph

Biography of General Solon Dexter Hungerford

General Hungerford, whose history is so intimately connected with that of Jefferson County, and especially of the town of Adams, belongs to a family whose genealogy can be traced for at least two centuries. Thomas Hungerford came from the parish of Shetford, England, thirty or forty miles from London, and went to Hartford, Connecticut, before the year 1639. Mention is made of a descendant of the same name in the Hartford State Records, and in looking over the American Archives we find that one John P. Hungerford was an officer in the Revolution, and member of Congress from 1813 to …

Biography of General Solon Dexter Hungerford Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

History of Adams Village, New York

The location of this large and thriving village of 2000 inhabitants is on Sandy creek, one and a half miles from the Rodman town-line, and extending on its south to the towns of Lorraine and Ellisburg. The principal part of the village is in the valley of the creek, mostly on its north bank, although some of the private residences are on the terraces along the stream, giving the place an elevated appearance beautiful to behold, and admitting the display of much fine taste. The streets are wide, graded to a considerable extent, and cleanly kept. Outside of the business …

History of Adams Village, New York Read More »

View of Elmwood Cemetery, Adams

Societies and Orders of Adams New York

“Rising Sun Lodge, No. 124, F. & A. M.,” was organized, probably in 1806, with Robert Merrick as the first W. M. Regular meetings were held until the anti-Masonic times of 1827, when the lodge was suspended. In March, 1851, it was resuscitated with the same name, the number being changed to 234. The officers and charter members were B. Wright, W. M.; J. C. Cooper, S. W.; J. Griswold, J. W.; Dennis Waite, Almanson Tibbetts, Herman Strong, J. H. Whipple, Elijah Wright, and Titus Bassett, members. The present membership is more than 200. An elegant hall was formally dedicated …

Societies and Orders of Adams New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top