History of Ives Seminary

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.

Continue Reading →

Alexandria Township New York History and Genealogy

The first improvement in this town was made about 1811 by Le Ray, who caused a clearing to be made…

Continue Reading →

1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Continue Reading →

Barnes Settlement Cemetery, Alexandria Bay, New York

View Larger Map  |  Get Directions  |  View Bird’s Eye Barnes Settlement Cemetery, on the Alexandria Center Road, seems isolated,…

Continue Reading →

History of the Village of Antwerp

The first settlement and improvements upon the site of the present village of Antwerp were made under the direction of…

Continue Reading →

History of Ives Seminary, Antwerp, New York

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, – the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute…

Continue Reading →