History of Ox Bow, New York

This little village is located on the left bank of the Oswegatchie, at the southernmost point of the groat bend in that river. It lies due north of Antwerp village seven and one-half miles, and its communication with the latter place is over an excellent turnpike-road. Ox Bow, at the present time, contains a post-office, one hotel, four stores, one physician, one drugstore, one wagon-shop, three blacksmith-shops, one harness- and saddlery-shop, a good school-house, two churches, and about 300 inhabitants.

Continue Reading →

1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Continue Reading →

East End Cemetery, Amagansett, New York

The East End Cemetery is located on the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Route 27, almost directly across the street from Amagansett Fire Department. This cemetery is also known by the name of the Amagansett Cemetery.

The first deed referring to Amagansett is dated 1683. By means of that document the Reverend Thomas James sold to Abraham Schlellinger 52 acres of woods by a highway known as Amagansett commonly called Amagansett Way. The name Schlellinger is commonly found on many of the tombstones in this ancient burial ground. The earliest families who settled in Amagansett were the Bakers, the Conklings and the Mulfords. Alice Baker, who died on February 4th 1708 at age 88, was the wife of Thomas Baker, the first to settle the village.

Continue Reading →

Adams Rural Cemetery – P Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern…

Continue Reading →

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams…

Continue Reading →

Adams New York Biographies – Part 11

The following 13 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: William H. Nickelson; James E. Bentley; Captain Pardon Payne; John Monroe; Michael Schrodt; Rev. William Cooke; Rev. Thomas Simpkins; William Gussman; Alfred Lord; Rev. Junius J. Cowles; John S. Archer; Richard A. Dennis; and Sylvester J. Taylor.

Continue Reading →

History of the Village of Antwerp

The first settlement and improvements upon the site of the present village of Antwerp were made under the direction of…

Continue Reading →