Randall

Congregational Church and Crosby Library in Antwerp

Historical Churches of Antwerp, New York

Short history on various historical churches of Antwerp, Jefferson County, New York.

The First Congregational Church Of Antwerp

History of the First Congregational Church of Antwerp

The First Congregational Church of Antwerp was organized in July, 1819, by Rev. Isaac Clinton, then principal of the academy at Lowville. The event took place in Copeland Hall, upon the site of the present Proctor House. The original members were William Randall, Percival Hawley, Edward Foster, Elijah Hoyt, Hosea Hough, Mrs. Hawley, Mrs. Foster, Mrs. Frances Eaton, and Mrs. Polly Copeland. It was agreed beforehand to employ either a Presbyterian or a Congregational minister, as might be most convenient, and to allow him to choose the polity of the organization.

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York

It is doubtful whether the honor of having made the first settlement in the territory now forming the town of Antwerp belonged to Captain William Lee or to Peter Vrooman, for it appears evident that both settled during the same year, 1803, though both were then but squatters on land which they afterwards purchased. Lee …

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York Read More »

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – Q R Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery …

Adams Rural Cemetery – Q R Surnames Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

Adams New York Biographies – Part 11

The following 13 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: William H. Nickelson; James E. Bentley; Captain Pardon Payne; John Monroe; Michael Schrodt; Rev. William Cooke; Rev. Thomas Simpkins; William Gussman; Alfred Lord; Rev. Junius J. Cowles; John S. Archer; Richard A. Dennis; and Sylvester J. Taylor.

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 8

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Albert G. Glass; Luftus J. Landon; Lorenzo Green; Elihu Allen; Asa B. Prentice; Abner L. Ramsdell; Hiram Taylor; Alvin Parmlee; Orlo B. Rhodes; and Christopher Huson.

O De Grasse Greene Residence and Sash, Door and Blind Factory

Adams New York Biographies – Part 2

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Heman Colton; O. De Grasse Greene; Perly D. Stone; Fayette Stanley; Herman Keep; Samuel Bond; Joseph Ripley; Daniel Stanley; Joseph Green, 2d; and Calvin Warriner.

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute

This thriving institution of learning is located at Adams village, whose inhabitants early felt the need of better facilities for education than the common schools afforded; accordingly efforts were made at different times to found an institution of learning of a higher grade; but, owing to local jealousies and the powerful opposition of the friends …

The Hungerford Collegiate Institute Read More »

View of Elmwood Cemetery, Adams

Societies and Orders of Adams New York

“Rising Sun Lodge, No. 124, F. & A. M.,” was organized, probably in 1806, with Robert Merrick as the first W. M. Regular meetings were held until the anti-Masonic times of 1827, when the lodge was suspended. In March, 1851, it was resuscitated with the same name, the number being changed to 234. The officers …

Societies and Orders of Adams New York Read More »

Scroll to Top