The Baptist Church and Society at Adams village was organized March 30, 1837, with Jesse Wright, Hannibal Miller, and Spencer Woodward, trustees. Meetings were held in the schoolhouse, and in the building now used as an engine-house, until 1847, when a frame church was erected, costing $3500, which was dedicated in January, 1848. This was used until 1871, when it was removed to give place to the present edifice, and it has since been transformed into a furniture warehouse. The same year, A. J. Brown, H. O. Kenyon, and A. W. Ingraham were appointed a building committee, and under their supervision the magnificent structure on Church street was erected in 1871. It is built in Gothic style, of brick, with a handsomely variegated slate roof. The main building is 40 by 90 feet, 32 feet high, and is relieved by a well proportioned tower. On its west side is a two-story wing, 40 by 45 feet, arranged into a Sabbath-school room, church parlor, and pastor’s study. The interior is embellished by neat frescoes and chaste furniture, and is heated by three furnaces. The cost of the building was about $25,000, and it was dedicated Oct. 10, 1871, by Dr. Patton, of New York, and Dr. Bridgeman, of Albany. The present trustees are A. W. Ingraham, H. O. Kenyon, J. S. Brown, W. D. Arms, and B. F. Hawes.
Rev. Charles Clark was the first regular minister, and his faithful pastorate gave the church the character which became the corner-stone of its future prosperity. He was succeeded in 1850 by C. Hartson, and a year later by M. C. Manning. In 1857, H. O. Beals became pastor, and his connection was blessed with many baptisms and accessions. He was followed, in 1860, by William Garnett, who was succeeded in June, 1861, by I. N. Hobart. His pastorate was noted for the changes in the church membership, first of withdrawals, and then the large increase which followed. He remained with the church until March, 1866, and was succeeded the following September by Thomas Cull. In 1868, S. P. Merrill was employed, and in 1874, William Ostler. The present pastor, W. H. Hawley, was settled January, 1875.
The current expenses of the church are $1800 per year, and $350 is raised annually for benevolent purposes. The present membership is 203.
A Sunday-school was organized February 12, 1847, with H. Miller, superintendent; A. J. Brown is the present incumbent. The school numbers 214, and has a library of 300 volumes.
Records Available for the Baptist Church and Society of Adams Village, NY
The following items are available at the Flowers Memorial Library in Watertown New York.
- Adams Baptist Church
- alphabetical membership roll 1846 — 1885, with some later additions.
- includes baptisms, deaths, and some marriages.
- list of pastors 1846 — 1972.
Source: Durant, Samuel W. and Henry B. Peirce. History of Jefferson County, New York, With Illustrations and Biographical Sketches of Some of its Prominent Men and Pioneers. Philadelphia: L.H. Everts & Co., 1878. p 261.