Surname: Clark

Barryville Cemetery, Barryville, New York

Located about one and one half miles from the Village of Barryville, on the side of a very steep dirt road. It is in fairly good condition HIGBY, Edwin, b. 31 Jan 1864, d. 6 Jan 1907 SCHUMACHERJohn, b. 2 Apr 1924, ae 57 y, 4 m, 8 dMrs. Dorothea, d. 8 Jun 1928, ae 83 y, 3 m, 23 d Herman F., b. 27 Dec 1839, d. 25 Jan 1907Dorthea, his wife, b. 15 Feb 1845, d. 8 Jun 1928 (There were two separate stones for this individual) DAVISLulu May, b. 3 Aug 1890, d. 11 Jun 1909Ettie Ludwig, …

Barryville Cemetery, Barryville, New York Read More »

Burials in the Old Stone Fort Cemetery at Schoharie, New York

Burials in the Old Stone Fort Cemetery at Schoharie, New York

About one mile north of the Court House at Schoharie, New York, stands a substantial stone building erected and used as a church before the Revolution. In October 1780. Sir. John Johnson, the Indian Chief Brant, with a large force of soldiers, Tories and Indians visited the Schoharie Valley, murdered one hundred of the inhabitants, destroyed their houses and barns and 100,000 bushels of grain. The invaders attacked the Fort which had been constructed about the church, but it was defended with such vigor they withdrew. A cannon ball fired by the enemy pierced the roof of the church and …

Burials in the Old Stone Fort Cemetery at Schoharie, New York Read More »

The St. Helena School in 1893, when Miss Ida Bennett was teacher.

St. Helena’s School Life

When homes began to be established in St. Helena, the need for a school arose, naturally. The exact date of the building of the first schoolhouse cannot be learned. However, it is known that the structure was located in the valley on the west side of the northern highway leading toward Castile. The building was used later for a barn. The school district was Number Four, at first, but later was changed to Number Ten in Castile Township. Since the village’s plans were made about 1820, it would appear that the schoolhouse was included. The first school building was used …

St. Helena’s School Life Read More »

New Vernon Cemetery, Middletown, New York - FM

New Vernon Cemetery, Middletown, New York

New Vernon Cemetery, also known as the Old Baptist School Cemetery, surrounds the Old Baptist School Church at New Vernon, Sullivan County, New York, near the County line separating Sullivan County from Orange County. Many of those interred here actually lived and died in Orange County. The 604 entries have been transcribed as accurately as possible from the original listings, but have been changed to an alphabetical listing to make it easier to find people.

Romeyn Beck Hough

Genealogy of the Hough Family of Northern New York

This name is inseparably connected with the formative period of history in Northern New York. Posterity is deeply indebted to Dr. Franklin B., Hough for his care in learning and preserving the history of early settlements in Lewis, Jefferson, Franklin and St. Lawrence counties. The ancestry was located early in Massachusetts, and worthy sons have been instrumental in settling and developing many sections of the United States. Many physicians have been found among the descendants, but most have been mechanics or tillers of the soil.

How we do things at Bangall NY Postcard

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York

The earliest records of this Church are dated from Great Nine Partners, Charlotte Precinct, N. Y. Its first members appear to have emigrated from Massachusetts, and were organized into a Church, Oct. 1, 1759, in Dutchess County, by covenanting together and appointing Ephraim Bullock and Corner Bullock to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances among them. At this meeting the members had the assistance of Elder Jabez Wood and Elder Robert Wheaton, who were elders of the First Baptist Church in the town of Swansea, Mass. For nearly twenty years harmony prevailed in the church, but in 1778 dissension …

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York Read More »

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

History of Ives Seminary

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.

1864 Map of Alexandria Township New York

Alexandria Township New York History and Genealogy

The first improvement in this town was made about 1811 by Le Ray, who caused a clearing to be made at Alexandria Center, to afford facilities to the first settlers, by supplying them with grain until it could be raised by themselves. He paid twelve dollars per acre with the ashes and half the first crop for these jobs, and built a log barn. In 1811 the proprietors made the Morris and Hammond road, extending from Hammond village to the Red tavern, near Theresa, where it intersected another road from the river to Philadelphia. The former was cleared four rods …

Alexandria Township New York History and Genealogy Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top