Cooley

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – C Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery I have had to spread it out over multiple pages. You can find the main page here: Adams Rural Cemetery – Includes Map This section contains the interments whose surnames begin with the letter C.   Footnotes:[+] Footnotes: ↑1 NYS Route 3 ↑2 Description of …

Adams Rural Cemetery – C Surnames Read More »

Barnes Settlement Cemetery

Barnes Settlement Cemetery, Alexandria Bay, New York

View Larger Map  |  Get Directions  |  View Bird’s Eye Barnes Settlement Cemetery, on the Alexandria Center Road, seems isolated, far out in the country, with no house in sight. It covers an expanse of rolling ground well shaded with old trees, and is excellently kept. “No artificial flowers” warns a sign. Several trash barrels are posted in various places to encourage people to pick up after themselves, a large improvement over some cemeteries, where one can never find a place to deposit winter’s litter for Memorial Day clean up. This is a straight-forward cemetery to find. Take Route 26 …

Barnes Settlement Cemetery, Alexandria Bay, New York Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

Residence of T. V. Maxon Left Side

Adams New York Biographies – Part 5

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Abram Green; T. V. Maxon; Albert G. Thomas; John J. Stillman; Martin E. Dealing; Alfred H. York; Captain W. A. Collins; James Hammond; Gardner Towle; and Charles H. Andrus.

Residence of Thomas P. Saunders

Adams New York Biographies – Part 4

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Isaac Rogers; Samuel Davis; Thomas P. Saunders; Charles H. Babcock; Henry H. Comins; Sylvanus Lockwood; Austin Pratt Hale; Isaac Saunders; William L. Hunt; and Isaac L. Hunt.

1864 Map of Adams New York

History of Adams Center, New York

This pleasant village, of 500 inhabitants, is situated on the upper lake ridge, which here forms a plain, three miles north of Adams, and ten miles by railroad from Watertown. The location is very favorable, and, being surrounded by a rich farming country, the place has become noted for its many comfortable homes, substantial business men, and beautiful streets. Settlement in this’ locality was first made in 1816, by Luman and Hiram Arms, who opened a farm just north of the village site. The place was densely timbered with cedar and the hard woods of this section, and clearings were …

History of Adams Center, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

History of Smithville Village, New York

Smithville Village, which was founded by Jesse Smith, is partly in Henderson. The portion lying in Adams is on lots 9 and 17, on Stony creek, which here affords excellent water-power. Settlement was begun here in 1804 by Daniel Hardy, although a little east of this point Chauncey Mills, from Connecticut, took up land in 1803. In 1805 he built a saw-mill on Stony creek, the first in the west part of town. He lived here until his death, in 1821, having reared a family, of which John Mills, now residing on the homestead, is the only survivor. In 1805, …

History of Smithville Village, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

Roads, Railroads, and Telegraph Lines of Adams New York

The first settlers of the town had only blind paths through the woods for roads; and when streams were reached, they had to be forded or crossed on foot-logs felled across the narrow channels. But roads were located be-tween the different settlements at an early day, and in 1802 the Sandy creek was bridged at Smith’s mill. In the spring of 1804, the State road to Rome, via Redfield, was opened, and ten years later, the State road from Salina to Adams, where it intersected the Rome road. It was long best known as the ” Salt Point road.” The …

Roads, Railroads, and Telegraph Lines of Adams New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top