The Church History of Alexandria New York, provides a brief history of each of the churches in existence in Alexandria in 1878, including their members and leaders.
The East End Cemetery is located on the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Route 27, almost directly across the street from Amagansett Fire Department. This cemetery is also known by the name of the Amagansett Cemetery.
The first deed referring to Amagansett is dated 1683. By means of that document the Reverend Thomas James sold to Abraham Schlellinger 52 acres of woods by a highway known as Amagansett commonly called Amagansett Way. The name Schlellinger is commonly found on many of the tombstones in this ancient burial ground. The earliest families who settled in Amagansett were the Bakers, the Conklings and the Mulfords. Alice Baker, who died on February 4th 1708 at age 88, was the wife of Thomas Baker, the first to settle the village.
View Larger Map | Get Directions | View Bird’s Eye Barnes Settlement Cemetery, on the Alexandria Center Road, seems isolated, far out in the country, with no house in sight. It covers an expanse of rolling ground well shaded with old trees, and is excellently kept. “No artificial flowers” warns a sign. Several trash barrels are posted in various places to encourage people to pick up after themselves, a large improvement over some cemeteries, where one can never find a place to deposit winter’s litter for Memorial Day clean up. This is a straight-forward cemetery to find. Take Route 26 …