Lewis

How we do things at Bangall NY Postcard

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York

The earliest records of this Church are dated from Great Nine Partners, Charlotte Precinct, N. Y. Its first members appear to have emigrated from Massachusetts, and were organized into a Church, Oct. 1, 1759, in Dutchess County, by covenanting together and appointing Ephraim Bullock and Corner Bullock to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances among them. At this meeting the members had the assistance of Elder Jabez Wood and Elder Robert Wheaton, who were elders of the First Baptist Church in the town of Swansea, Mass. For nearly twenty years harmony prevailed in the church, but in 1778 dissension …

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York Read More »

1864 Map of Ox Bow

History of Ox Bow, New York

This little village is located on the left bank of the Oswegatchie, at the southernmost point of the groat bend in that river. It lies due north of Antwerp village seven and one-half miles, and its communication with the latter place is over an excellent turnpike-road. Ox Bow, at the present time, contains a post-office, one hotel, four stores, one physician, one drugstore, one wagon-shop, three blacksmith-shops, one harness- and saddlery-shop, a good school-house, two churches, and about 300 inhabitants.

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York

It is doubtful whether the honor of having made the first settlement in the territory now forming the town of Antwerp belonged to Captain William Lee or to Peter Vrooman, for it appears evident that both settled during the same year, 1803, though both were then but squatters on land which they afterwards purchased. Lee located on the State road on lot No. 657, and Vrooman built his log house at the great bend of the Oswegatchie, at a point near the lower end of the present village of Ox Bow. Both these settlers opened their log dwellings as public-houses …

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York Read More »

Home of Thomas Benton Marshall

1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – L Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery I have had to spread it out over multiple pages. You can find the main page here: Adams Rural Cemetery – Includes Map This section contains the interments whose surnames begin with the letter L.   Footnotes:[+] Footnotes: ↑1 NYS Route 3 ↑2 Description of …

Adams Rural Cemetery – L Surnames Read More »

First Alfred Seventh Day Baptist Church

Rev. A Clyde Ehret Installed at Alfred New York

Rev. A Clyde Ehret Installed at Alfred Alfred 1)Seventh Day Baptist Church at Alfred NY. has a new pastor. Some one has kindly sent the Sabbath Recorder a program of the installation exercises which we give our readers here, hoping that some of the good things said in the meeting on Sabbath morning may also be furnished for publication. On the eve of the Sabbath, October 1, a praise and conversation meeting was held in harmony with the purpose of the exercises for the next morning. This is the program for Sabbath morning service at 10:30, October 2: Sabbath Day, …

Rev. A Clyde Ehret Installed at Alfred New York Read More »

Seventh Day Baptist Church at Verona NY

Historical Sketch of the Seventh Day Baptist Church at Verona, NY

Historical Sketch of Verona Church by Mrs. Carrie Stark One hundred years ago, June 19, 1820, a little group assembled here to form the sacred organization of a church. In the year 1804, one Daniel Williams with a part of his family, consisting of his wife, seven sons, and one daughter, started westward from Hopkinton, R. I., with a yoke of oxen and one horse; and after a wearisome journey of four weeks, settled in this, then, Western Wild, later known as the town of Verona. Coming from the early Seventh Day Baptist church of Hopkinton, R. I., and inspired …

Historical Sketch of the Seventh Day Baptist Church at Verona, NY Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 9

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Palmer Hodge; Sylvester G. Nott; Rufus D. Gardner; Waterman Horth; G. W. Hannahs; John Ivory; Simon Wakefield; John J. Gilbert; Charles C. Case; and John H. Dryden.

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY

The Manufacturing Interests of the village date from 1800. That year David Smith built and got in operation a saw-mill near where the present mill stands. It did a great deal of work, yet it was not able to supply the demand for lumber, and even the slabs were used in building. From this circumstance the village was sometimes called ” Slab City.” A larger mill replaced the first one, which has long since been destroyed. In the western part of the village there is a good saw-mill, owned by Saunders & Wright. In 1802, David Smith got in operation …

The Commercial Interests of Adams Village NY Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top