Pitcher

Romeyn Beck Hough

Genealogy of the Hough Family of Northern New York

This name is inseparably connected with the formative period of history in Northern New York. Posterity is deeply indebted to Dr. Franklin B., Hough for his care in learning and preserving the history of early settlements in Lewis, Jefferson, Franklin and St. Lawrence counties. The ancestry was located early in Massachusetts, and worthy sons have been instrumental in settling and developing many sections of the United States. Many physicians have been found among the descendants, but most have been mechanics or tillers of the soil.

How we do things at Bangall NY Postcard

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York

The earliest records of this Church are dated from Great Nine Partners, Charlotte Precinct, N. Y. Its first members appear to have emigrated from Massachusetts, and were organized into a Church, Oct. 1, 1759, in Dutchess County, by covenanting together and appointing Ephraim Bullock and Corner Bullock to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances among them. At this meeting the members had the assistance of Elder Jabez Wood and Elder Robert Wheaton, who were elders of the First Baptist Church in the town of Swansea, Mass. For nearly twenty years harmony prevailed in the church, but in 1778 dissension …

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York Read More »

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – P Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery I have had to spread it out over multiple pages. You can find the main page here: Adams Rural Cemetery – Includes Map This section contains the interments whose surnames begin with the letter P.   Footnotes:[+] Footnotes: ↑1 NYS Route 3 ↑2 Description of …

Adams Rural Cemetery – P Surnames Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

Residence of Alexander D. Stanley

Adams New York Biographies – Part 6

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: George Potter; Mark Marriott; Matthew White; Jonathan Lamson; George Frasier; Austin H. Coughlan; Alfred A. Hodges; Joseph Bullock; Seymour H. Pitcher; and George D. Sullivan.

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

History of Adams Village, New York

The location of this large and thriving village of 2000 inhabitants is on Sandy creek, one and a half miles from the Rodman town-line, and extending on its south to the towns of Lorraine and Ellisburg. The principal part of the village is in the valley of the creek, mostly on its north bank, although some of the private residences are on the terraces along the stream, giving the place an elevated appearance beautiful to behold, and admitting the display of much fine taste. The streets are wide, graded to a considerable extent, and cleanly kept. Outside of the business …

History of Adams Village, New York Read More »

View of Elmwood Cemetery, Adams

Societies and Orders of Adams New York

“Rising Sun Lodge, No. 124, F. & A. M.,” was organized, probably in 1806, with Robert Merrick as the first W. M. Regular meetings were held until the anti-Masonic times of 1827, when the lodge was suspended. In March, 1851, it was resuscitated with the same name, the number being changed to 234. The officers and charter members were B. Wright, W. M.; J. C. Cooper, S. W.; J. Griswold, J. W.; Dennis Waite, Almanson Tibbetts, Herman Strong, J. H. Whipple, Elijah Wright, and Titus Bassett, members. The present membership is more than 200. An elegant hall was formally dedicated …

Societies and Orders of Adams New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top