Adams New York Biographies – Part 6
The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.
George Potter, son of George and Mary (Stillman) Potter, was born in Hopkinton, R. I., in 1799. He followed the occupations of carpenter and joiner, carriage maker, and farmer. About 1818 he emigrated to Brookfield, Madison County, N. Y. He married Eliza, daughter of Deacon Samuel P. and Polly (Stillman) Burdick, in 1823, by whom he had children as follows: Charles, of Plainfield, N. J.; Mary B. (Mrs. L. R. Green), who died in Adams Center; Dr. Correll D., who resides in Adams Center; Delia (Mrs. George W. Gardner), also of Adams Center; and Emeline (Mrs. N. L. Burdick), who died in West Edmeston, Otsego County. Correll D. Potter was born in West Edmeston in 1827. He was educated at Adams and Rodman Academy, and in 1849 graduated from the medical department of the University of New York. He practiced in the villages of East Rodman, South Rutland, and Adams, and in 1853 located in Adams Center, where he still resides. He married Electra, daughter of David and Sally (Sedgewick) Ayres, in 1855, and they have adopted three children, viz.: Susie, Evaline, and William D. Ayres, children of Daniel and grandchildren of David Ayres. Dr. Potter was appointed postmaster in 1861, and continued in office fourteen years. He also conducted a drug store. In 1871 he originated the idea and commenced the manufacture of handy package dyes. In 1882 he became associate editor of Outlook, Sabbath Quarterly,and Light of Home.
Mark Marriott, son of John, was born in England in 1801. He married Ann Nunn, immigrated to America in 1830, and in 1831 located in Rome, N. Y. Of his seven sons and four daughters, one son, Morris, was born in 1830, and at the age of 19 years was apprenticed to the blacksmiths’ trade. He settled in Adams, and in 1854 married Harriet Grover, who bore him four children — Leola, Charles A., Ada G., and Alice I. His wife died in 1862, and for his second wife he married, in 1864, Elizabeth Ann, daughter of Elias and Betsey (Clark) Jennings, by whom he has four sons and two daughters, viz.: Eugene A., born in 1867; Brayton L., born in 1867; Mary L., born in 1869; Harriet A., born in 1871; George M., born in 1874; and Fred B., born in 1877.
Matthew White and wife, Elizabeth (Given), emigrated to America from County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1801, and their son, John G. White, was born on board the ship Fair America, on the passage over. John G. was left an orphan at the age of 13 years, and was apprenticed out to learn the printers’ trade, at Albany. In 1823 he engaged in mercantile business, and became interested in the West India Mercantile Co. In 1825 he engaged in the malting business at Albany, in which he continued the remainder of his life. He was a successful business man and acquired a large fortune. He died April 16, 1889, in his 88th year. In 1825 he married Hannah J., daughter of Elisha and Esther (Johnson) Putnam, and they had born to them 11 children–seven sons and four daughters. Rufus P. White, son of John G., was born in Albany, December 28, 1827. In his early years he assisted his father in the malting business, and with his brother, Matthew, established a line of trading vessels between Albany and Philadelphia. In 1855 he came to Adams and engaged in the malting business, and built the malt-house at the depot, where he did an extensive business until 1876. In 1859 he bought Maple Grove Place, and engaged in breeding fine trotting horses. He married Caroline, daughter of Frederick and Mary (Mesick) Van Wormer, of Albany, in 1848, and they had two sons and four daughters, namely: John G., who died young; Kate B., who married S. A. Potter in 1877, and has a son, Rufus P.; Carie, who married A. C. Northrup, and has three children; Sybelia L. (Mrs. R. B. Hungerford), of New York; Hannah J. and Florence A., who died in infancy; and Frank P., born in 1860, who married Lucinda Bennet in 1887. Mrs. White died in 1885, and for his second wife he married, May 21, 1889, Anna S., daughter of Henry W. North, and a widow of Dr. W. C. Tracy, of Brooklyn, N. Y.
Jonathan Lamson, with his family of six sons and four daughters, located in the town of Lorraine in 1804, where he died in 1806. Job, son of Jonathan, was born in 1792 and died in 1868. He was reared upon a farm, became prominent in town affairs, and was a member of the legislature in 1843. He married Amanda Steadman, of Lorraine. Of their seven children, only two, Malvina (Mrs. A. F. Thornton), of Columbus, Ohio, and Daniel W., who was born in Lorraine in 1836, are living. The latter was reared upon a farm, and in 1860 married Frances C., daughter of Thomas and Esther (Green) Wood, by whom he has one daughter, Jennie L., who married P. D. Aldrich, a professor of music in the University of Boston. Mr. Lamson came to Adams in 1858, and was engaged in the boot and shoe business for 13 years. He now conducts a meat market.
George Frasier and wife, Caroline, of Scotch descent, located in Hounsfield about 1815. He was a seafaring man, and for many years a captain on the great lakes, where he lost his life. Of his children, William V., a ship carpenter, died in Sacramento, Cal. George, born in Hounsfield, November 16, 1818, was reared upon a farm, learned the milling business, and in 1842 purchased a grist-mill in the town of Philadelphia, in this county, and there remained in the milling and mercantile business about 18 years. He came to Adams in 1860 and purchased a grist and saw-mill, which business he conducted until about 1878. In 1879 he bought the flouring-mill at Brownville, and in 1883 purchased the woolen factory property at the same place, both of which he has since disposed of. He owns farms aggregating 840 acres. He married, first, in 1840, Sophia R., daughter of David and Relief (Root) Wilder, who died in 1869. For his second wife he married Cinderella, daughter of Truman and Eunice (Witter) Root, May 21, 1872, by whom he has a son, George H. H., born December 19, 1873. Mr. Frasier resides on Spring street, Adams village.
Austin H. Coughlan
Austin H. Coughlan, son of George L. and Sarah (Waite) Coughlan, was born in Champion, N. Y., in 1817. In 1843 he married Jane Henry, who died in 1849. In 1852 he married Marion Sherwin, of Brattleboro, Vt., and soon after engaged in mercantile business in New York city. In 1860 he located in Adams, but continued his business in New York until 1874. His wife died in 1875, and the same year he married Helen N., daughter of Thomas A. and Vienna (Carr) Rice, and widow of H. H. Butterworth, by whom he has a son, George R., born in 1877. By his second wife he has a daughter, Mrs. W. R. Brown, of Adams. Mr. Coughlan has been an active member, trustee, and elder of the Presbyterian Church, and a generous supporter of benevolent enterprises. His third wife, Helen, was born in Fairfield, Herkimer County, graduated from the academy in 1860, and became preceptress of Pulaski Academy, under the principal-ship of Harvey H. Butterworth, a graduate of Hamilton College, whom she married August 28, 1864. Mr. Butterworth died October 16th following. Mrs. Butterworth remained in Pulaski Academy two years, was preceptress of Hungerford Collegiate Institute in 1866-67, was in Fairfield from 1867 to 1870, when she again became preceptress of Hungerford Collegiate Institute, with Prof. Watkins as principal, which position she now occupies with Orlo B. Rhodes as principal.
Alfred A. Hodges
Alfred A. Hodges, a native of Rodman, married Betsey Ann Freeman, by whom he had children as follows: Joshua F., who resides in Chicago; A. De Alton, who was drowned in the lake in 1879; Calvin A., of Adams Center; Mary J., who died at the age of nine years; Benjamin F., of Frankfort; Willie M., of Florida; Charles E., of Chicago; and Clark A. and Alva A., of Adams. Clark A. Hodges, born in 1862, married Eunice, daughter of L. H. and Hannah (Cronk) Perkins, in 1879, and their children are Libbie May, Amos, De Alton, Donald F., and Anna M. Mr. Hodges is a farmer in this town.
Joseph Bullock, a native of Guilford, Vt., married Abigail Avery, who bore him eight children, of whom Joseph, Jr., who was born in 1787, died in Ellisburgh, where he located in 1806. He married Nancy, daughter of Francis Furgerson, and they had eight daughters, viz.: Mary C., who married, first, Alfred Stearns, second, Darwin Sherwood, and third, John Briggs, and is now a widow and resides in this town; Eliza Ann, of Ellisburgh; Abbie A., who died in Ohio in 1836, aged eighteen years; Emma A. (Mrs. Samuel Stearns), of Medina, N. Y.; Julia (Mrs. H. Twadell), of Indiana; Lucy J. and Frances E., of Adams; and Sarah M., of Ellisburgh. Mr. Bullock was a carpenter and joiner by trade. He served in the War of 1812, participated in the battle of Sackets Harbor, and received a tract of land as a bounty. Lucy J. Bullock located in Adams Center in 1862, and engaged in the millinery and fancy goods business. In 1866 she removed to Adams village and engaged in the same business, which she still continues.
Seymour H. Pitcher
Seymour H. Pitcher, son of Daniel and Rebecca (Rice) Pitcher, was born April 18, 1826. He was reared upon a farm and was educated at Lowville Academy. At the age of seventeen years he engaged as clerk with Baldwin & Wood, and at the age of 23 went to Illinois and engaged in farming, which he continued until 1863, when he came to Adams and bought a half interest in the Adams flouring-mill, of which he became sole owner in 1877. He married Clarinda, daughter of Levi and Martha (Gleason) Butterfield, who bore him a daughter, Carrie A. (Mrs. F. A. Brandt), and died in 1863. For his second wife he married Delia M., daughter of Whitfield Crane, who died in 1874. He married for his third wife Arvilla M., daughter of Truman and Eunice (Witter) Root, in 1875, by whom he has a son, H. Earl, born in 1883. Mr. Pitcher has been president of Adams village and trustee of the public schools. He is now doing an extensive milling business.
George D. Sullivan
George D. Sullivan was born in Waddington, St. Lawrence County, in 1841. He learned the wagon-makers’ trade, and in 1859 came to Adams Center. He enlisted in Co. C, 186th Regt. N. Y. Vols., and was in Hatch’s Run, Petersburg, and other battles. He married Diadama E., daughter of Frank C. and Mary Ann (Moulton) Wilder, in 1862, and their children were Anna G., who died in 1877, aged fourteen years; George A., who died in infancy; Geogia A., born in 1875; and Willie A., born in 1877.
Source: Child, Hamilton. Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890, part one, p. 236-238. Syracuse, N.Y.: The Syracuse journal company, printers and binders. 1890.