Pratt

1864 Map of Antwerp, New York

Incorporation of the Village of Antwerp, New York

Antwerp was incorporated a village, by order of the court of sessions, under the general act, in the year 1851 and the incorporation was ratified, by a vote of fifty-three to three, at a special meeting, held at Stowell & Taylor hotel, on the 30th of July in that year. The boundary are recorded as embracing a rectangular tract of 660 acre being 80 chains in width from north to south, and 82 chains and 50 links in length from east to west; but a re-survey, made by Henry L. Scott in 1875, gives an area of 661.15 acres. The …

Incorporation of the Village of Antwerp, New York Read More »

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – P Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery I have had to spread it out over multiple pages. You can find the main page here: Adams Rural Cemetery – Includes Map This section contains the interments whose surnames begin with the letter P.   Footnotes:[+] Footnotes: ↑1 NYS Route 3 ↑2 Description of …

Adams Rural Cemetery – P Surnames Read More »

Barnes Settlement Cemetery

Barnes Settlement Cemetery, Alexandria Bay, New York

View Larger Map  |  Get Directions  |  View Bird’s Eye Barnes Settlement Cemetery, on the Alexandria Center Road, seems isolated, far out in the country, with no house in sight. It covers an expanse of rolling ground well shaded with old trees, and is excellently kept. “No artificial flowers” warns a sign. Several trash barrels are posted in various places to encourage people to pick up after themselves, a large improvement over some cemeteries, where one can never find a place to deposit winter’s litter for Memorial Day clean up. This is a straight-forward cemetery to find. Take Route 26 …

Barnes Settlement Cemetery, Alexandria Bay, New York Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Village New York

The Press of Adams New York

The Censor, an Anti-Masonic sheet, by Theron Parsons, was the first paper published at Adams. Its first issue bore date July 1, 1828, and its publication, at this place, was continued until June 13, 1829, when it was removed to Watertown. Owing to its bitter hostility to Masonry, its enemies named it The Cancer, which soon caused the title to be changed to The Anti-Masonic Sun. The Jefferson County Democrat was the next candidate for public favor, appearing June 27, 1844, under the control of J. C. Hatch, who three years after sold to E. J. Clark. It was a …

The Press of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Brownville New York

Brownville New York History from Childs 1890 Gazetteer

This Brownville New York History is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Frontenac Mill Dexter New York

1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

History of the Village of Antwerp

The first settlement and improvements upon the site of the present village of Antwerp were made under the direction of General Lewis R. Morris. On the 23d of December, 1804, he had purchased a tract of forty-nine thousand two hundred and eighty acres of land within the present boundaries of the town, comprising more then two-thirds of its entire area, and including the location on which the village stands. It was not until the year 1808 that David Parrish became proprietor of a part of these lands, by purchase from Morris. In the year following his purchase (1805) General Morris …

History of the Village of Antwerp Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top