Sprague

1864 Map of Spragues Corners

History of Sprague’s Corners, New York

Sprague’s Corners is the name given to a cluster of buildings lying partly in Antwerp and partly in St. Lawrence county, at a point nearly half a mile southeast from the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh railroad, at Keene’s Station, which name is often applied to the village.

1864 Map of Antwerp, New York

Incorporation of the Village of Antwerp, New York

Antwerp was incorporated a village, by order of the court of sessions, under the general act, in the year 1851 and the incorporation was ratified, by a vote of fifty-three to three, at a special meeting, held at Stowell & Taylor hotel, on the 30th of July in that year. The boundary are recorded as embracing a rectangular tract of 660 acre being 80 chains in width from north to south, and 82 chains and 50 links in length from east to west; but a re-survey, made by Henry L. Scott in 1875, gives an area of 661.15 acres. The …

Incorporation of the Village of Antwerp, New York Read More »

Home of Thomas Benton Marshall

1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Alexandria New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – S Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery I have had to spread it out over multiple pages. You can find the main page here: Adams Rural Cemetery – Includes Map This section contains the interments whose surnames begin with the letter S.   Footnotes:[+] Footnotes: ↑1 NYS Route 3 ↑2 Description of …

Adams Rural Cemetery – S Surnames Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

History of Smithville Village, New York

Smithville Village, which was founded by Jesse Smith, is partly in Henderson. The portion lying in Adams is on lots 9 and 17, on Stony creek, which here affords excellent water-power. Settlement was begun here in 1804 by Daniel Hardy, although a little east of this point Chauncey Mills, from Connecticut, took up land in 1803. In 1805 he built a saw-mill on Stony creek, the first in the west part of town. He lived here until his death, in 1821, having reared a family, of which John Mills, now residing on the homestead, is the only survivor. In 1805, …

History of Smithville Village, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Brownville New York

Brownville New York Biographies – Part 9

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Duncan Campbell, Phineas Osborn, John Ross, David Fluno, Robert Anderson, David Ryder, Adelbert Pettit, Seneca Rogers, Edward Soule, and Samuel McTaggart.

1864 Map of Brownville New York

Brownville New York History from Childs 1890 Gazetteer

This Brownville New York History is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Frontenac Mill Dexter New York

1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890.

Adams High School Senior Class of '24

1924 Adams High School Senior Annual

Transcription of the 1924 Adams High School Senior Annual

Amagansett Cemetery, Amagansett, New York

Old Cemeteries of Antwerp New York

The first graves in Antwerp were made in the old burial ground in the northeastern part of the village, upon the slope of the hill, near its top, and adjoining the schoolhouse and Baptist church lots. No one can now tell with certainty whose was the first interment here, but among the earliest were those of Richard McAllister and his wife, Susan, whose deaths occurred within less than three weeks of each other, his on the 11th of February, and hers on the 23rd of January, 1813, the land — one acre — was donated for burial purposes by David …

Old Cemeteries of Antwerp New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top