The Church History of Alexandria New York, provides a brief history of each of the churches in existence in Alexandria in 1878, including their members and leaders.
The Camp family is of English origin, and bore its coat of arms as early as 1597, in the reign of Queen Elizabeth. The founder of the American branch of the family was Nicholas Camp, who immigrated in 1630. Its representatives in Jefferson county have been among the most intelligent, upright and useful citizens. Their American ancestors have distinguished themselves in civic affairs and in the war for independence. Among these, the names of Camp, Hale, Hitchcock, Hull and Talcott are the most prominent.
The East End Cemetery is located on the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Route 27, almost directly across the street from Amagansett Fire Department. This cemetery is also known by the name of the Amagansett Cemetery.
The first deed referring to Amagansett is dated 1683. By means of that document the Reverend Thomas James sold to Abraham Schlellinger 52 acres of woods by a highway known as Amagansett commonly called Amagansett Way. The name Schlellinger is commonly found on many of the tombstones in this ancient burial ground. The earliest families who settled in Amagansett were the Bakers, the Conklings and the Mulfords. Alice Baker, who died on February 4th 1708 at age 88, was the wife of Thomas Baker, the first to settle the village.
Organization and Roster of Company K, 35th NY Vols. On the occasion of the 1887 Reunion of the 35th, Col.…