Foster

General Solon Dexter Hungerford

Hungerford Genealogy of Jefferson County New York

Provides genealogies of the Hungerford Families: Thomas Hungerford Family of East Haddam Connecticut; Thomas M. Hungerford Family of East Haddam, Connecticut; Benjamin Hungerford Family of Bristol, Connecticut; Timothy Hungerford Family of Watertown, New York; Timothy Hungerford Family of Watertown Center, New York; Edwin Hungerford Family of Evans Mills, New York; Elbert Hungerford Family of Evans Mills, New York; James Montrose Hungerford Family of Clayton, New York; Dexter Hungerford Family of Brownville, New York; General Solon Dexter Hungerford Family of Adams, New York; and Orville Hungerford Family of Watertown, New York.

How we do things at Bangall NY Postcard

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York

The earliest records of this Church are dated from Great Nine Partners, Charlotte Precinct, N. Y. Its first members appear to have emigrated from Massachusetts, and were organized into a Church, Oct. 1, 1759, in Dutchess County, by covenanting together and appointing Ephraim Bullock and Corner Bullock to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances …

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York Read More »

The First Congregational Church Of Antwerp

History of the First Congregational Church of Antwerp

The First Congregational Church of Antwerp was organized in July, 1819, by Rev. Isaac Clinton, then principal of the academy at Lowville. The event took place in Copeland Hall, upon the site of the present Proctor House. The original members were William Randall, Percival Hawley, Edward Foster, Elijah Hoyt, Hosea Hough, Mrs. Hawley, Mrs. Foster, Mrs. Frances Eaton, and Mrs. Polly Copeland. It was agreed beforehand to employ either a Presbyterian or a Congregational minister, as might be most convenient, and to allow him to choose the polity of the organization.

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

History of Ives Seminary

Ives Seminary, located in Antwerp village, is an outgrowth of two previously-existing educational enterprises, — the Antwerp Liberal Literary Institute and the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary. The last-named institution was incorporated April 5, 1828, and was successfully conducted as a grammar-school until 1837, when it was placed under the patronage of the Black River conference of the Methodist Episcopal church, and became their conference seminary, with Rev. Jesse T. Peck as principal. It remained under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church until 1869, when, as the buildings and facilities had become inadequate to the needs of the institution, it was transferred to Antwerp.

1864 Map of Antwerp, New York

Incorporation of the Village of Antwerp, New York

Antwerp was incorporated a village, by order of the court of sessions, under the general act, in the year 1851 and the incorporation was ratified, by a vote of fifty-three to three, at a special meeting, held at Stowell & Taylor hotel, on the 30th of July in that year. The boundary are recorded as …

Incorporation of the Village of Antwerp, New York Read More »

1888 Birds Eye View of Antwerp NY

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York

It is doubtful whether the honor of having made the first settlement in the territory now forming the town of Antwerp belonged to Captain William Lee or to Peter Vrooman, for it appears evident that both settled during the same year, 1803, though both were then but squatters on land which they afterwards purchased. Lee …

The First Settlers of Antwerp, New York Read More »

New York in the Revolution

Militia of Charlotte County, New York, 1775-1781

This is a list of men who served in the Revolutionary War from Charlotte County, present-day Warren and Washington counties, New York. Many of the original pay lists from this period have been lost. These records are taken from both muster rolls and land bounty records.

Redwood Glass Works workers in an 1880 company photo

History of Redwood Village, New York

Redwood, a thriving village near the line of Theresa, owes its origin to a glass-factory, established by John S. Foster, who for several years had been engaged in this business, as agent, at Boston, Burlington, Vt., and Bedford, Clinton county. In April, 1833, he visited this county, examined several localities, and finally selected this, which …

History of Redwood Village, New York Read More »

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – F Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery …

Adams Rural Cemetery – F Surnames Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 9

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Palmer Hodge; Sylvester G. Nott; Rufus D. Gardner; Waterman Horth; G. W. Hannahs; John Ivory; Simon Wakefield; John J. Gilbert; Charles C. Case; and John H. Dryden.

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top