Harrington

How we do things at Bangall NY Postcard

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York

The earliest records of this Church are dated from Great Nine Partners, Charlotte Precinct, N. Y. Its first members appear to have emigrated from Massachusetts, and were organized into a Church, Oct. 1, 1759, in Dutchess County, by covenanting together and appointing Ephraim Bullock and Corner Bullock to preach the gospel and administer the ordinances among them. At this meeting the members had the assistance of Elder Jabez Wood and Elder Robert Wheaton, who were elders of the First Baptist Church in the town of Swansea, Mass. For nearly twenty years harmony prevailed in the church, but in 1778 dissension …

The First Stanford (Baptist) Church at Bangall, Dutchess Co., New York Read More »

Adams Rural Cemetery

Adams Rural Cemetery – H Surnames

Adams Rural Cemetery is located on the west side of of South Main Street 1)NYS Route 3 at the southern edged of the Village of Adams. The cemetery is very well maintained. Stones, for the most part, are in excellent condition and readable. 2)Description of Rural Cemetery. Due to the large size of this cemetery I have had to spread it out over multiple pages. You can find the main page here: Adams Rural Cemetery – Includes Map This section contains the interments whose surnames begin with the letter H.   Footnotes:[+] Footnotes: ↑1 NYS Route 3 ↑2 Description of …

Adams Rural Cemetery – H Surnames Read More »

Cabinet Shop of R. C. Langworthy

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York

This 1890 Business Directory of Brownville New York is transcribed from Child’s Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890. Adams Collegiate Institute, D.A. Dwight, pres.; James G. Kellogg, vice-pres.; A.K. Hale, M.D., sec’y; T.T. Carter, treas.; Orlo B. Rhodes, prin.; Mrs. Helen Butterworth Coughlan, prec. Adams Laundry, Hodge & Potter, props., Church. Adams Lumber Co., John A. Cameron, manager, manufs. of and dealers in lumber, sash, doors, blinds, moldings, builders’ hardware, paints, oils, and glass, contractors and builders. Allen, Herbert a., (Smithville) r22, farmer 100. ALLEN, W.J., editor and publisher Jefferson County Journal, job printer. Alport, Clarence C., resident, h …

1890 Business Directory of Adams New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams Centre New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 10

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: John Williams; Simeon Heath; David S. Snell; Edward D. Spicer; Newton M. Parker; Stephen Shaw; Clarendon Phillips; Rev. John F. Nelson; Giles A. Hall; and H. K. Eggleston.

1864 Map of Adams New York

Adams New York Biographies – Part 7

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Myron D. Bunce; Gilbert C. Pryor; James E. Cook; Hinckley J. Page; George Carpenter; Daniel Fawdry; William H. Coon; John Waite; Marquis D. Manville; and William Barney.

Residence of T. V. Maxon Left Side

Adams New York Biographies – Part 5

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Abram Green; T. V. Maxon; Albert G. Thomas; John J. Stillman; Martin E. Dealing; Alfred H. York; Captain W. A. Collins; James Hammond; Gardner Towle; and Charles H. Andrus.

Residence of Thomas P. Saunders

Adams New York Biographies – Part 4

The following 10 biographical sketches were extracted from the Geographical gazetteer of Jefferson county, N.Y., 1685-1890: Isaac Rogers; Samuel Davis; Thomas P. Saunders; Charles H. Babcock; Henry H. Comins; Sylvanus Lockwood; Austin Pratt Hale; Isaac Saunders; William L. Hunt; and Isaac L. Hunt.

Samuel Fox

Biographical Sketch of Daniel Fox (2d)

Daniel Fox (2d) is the fourth of the eleven children belonging to Samuel Fox and Lucy Williams. He was born in the town of Adams May 16, 1808, and has been a resident in it all his life. His boyhood was spent on his father’s farm until he attained his sixteenth year, when he was apprenticed to the carpenter’s trade. Having mastered this, he became an active workman, and scores of buildings in the town are the result of his handicraft. When the Rome, Watertown and Ogdensburgh R. R. was built through Adams Center he received the appointment of station …

Biographical Sketch of Daniel Fox (2d) Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

History of Smithville Village, New York

Smithville Village, which was founded by Jesse Smith, is partly in Henderson. The portion lying in Adams is on lots 9 and 17, on Stony creek, which here affords excellent water-power. Settlement was begun here in 1804 by Daniel Hardy, although a little east of this point Chauncey Mills, from Connecticut, took up land in 1803. In 1805 he built a saw-mill on Stony creek, the first in the west part of town. He lived here until his death, in 1821, having reared a family, of which John Mills, now residing on the homestead, is the only survivor. In 1805, …

History of Smithville Village, New York Read More »

1864 Map of Adams New York

History of East Adams, New York

East Adams, or State Road. Some of the first settlers of the town made homes in this locality, many coming prior to 1805, and some in 1801. Among these were the Heath, Grommon, Loveland, Truman, Harris, and Talcott families, representatives of which yet remain near the place where their sturdy ancestors first broke the solemn quiet of the forest wild. In later years the Davis family settled in this neighborhood, and one of the sons, Joseph, built a store at the corners, where he was in trade a number of years. The house yet stands among the cluster of buildings …

History of East Adams, New York Read More »

Pin It on Pinterest

Scroll to Top